Monday, January 4, 2010

1979 F250 (Camper special)




Now the vehicle pictured above is a fine looking specimen of a 1979 Ford F-250 and NOT a picture of my 1979 F-250. Mine was a fine machine, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't as pretty as this one.

Mine was purchased from our dear friend Karen's father. Wonderful guy and proud to say we drank together once (that's a whole other story). Anyway, 500 bucks was the princely sum I paid him for it, and I was chuffed to bits. So chuffed in fact I drove away from his house in Nanoose Bay with the licence plates still sitting in a bag at his house.

Anyway, the thing about a 1979 ford f-250 Camper Special, is that first gear (yes it was a standard) is there for when there's a fully laden camper on the back. Otherwise first gear gets you a whopping 4 inches forward and then you have to change into 2nd.

It's all about gear ratios, torque and brake horsepower and, well, mechanical stuff that I don't need to bore you with, suffice it to say, 1st gear in a 1979 ford f-250 Camper Special is as about as useful as a ham sandwich at a Jewish wedding.

So, the point is you never use first, ever. Pulls away from a standing start totally happy in second. You don't have to slip the clutch or anything fancy, just put it in 2nd, little bit of gas, foot off the clutch and away you go. Easy.

How, I hear you wonder does that get me to a story about Tanner?

Well here he is



Granted, first glimpse you wouldn't say that it looks much like a 1979 ford f-250 Camper Special but believe me, I've seen it with my own eyes.

He sticks his feet out as far as they will go (approximately 2 inches) and then drags himself forward. But no further forward will he go. Pushing backwards is waaay easier he can go for yards backwards.

It seems, thus far, that if going forward will only move him a few inches then, for now, he's sticking to reverse.

Kid just needs to find second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maelin has the very same rig, and all she will do with it is go backwards too, that's so funny!