Wednesday, January 20, 2010

inta lectual property

Without going into too much detail, I offered my blog to be printed in a newsletter.

It was a weird thing to do, but I have received so much positive feedback from folks that I thought that maybe a new audience might enjoy it too.

The response came back from the editor of the news letter that they would like to edit it so that it is suitable for children.

I was overwhelmed by a feeling of protectionism. "This is mine, you can't touch it! Why do you want to change it? I'm writing it so my son can read it. What are you protecting your children from? .....Did I write dodgy stuff?"

Strangely odd. Why do I have this overly protectionist feeling about something that I spent no time working on? I just typed (2 fingers. Why use 10 when 2 will do?) and that was that.

I'm not going back and reading all this stuff to figure out which ones are inappropriate, so I guess I'll figure it out if or when it gets printed.

But the truth of the matter is, that on the internet, anyone can do what they want with it. I have no control. That's why it is there, for people to read. The recent fuworgh (what is that word? I have no idea) about privacy issues on facebook spring to mind.

Its a SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE!!!!! it's not meant to be private? This is a blog which is also not meant to be private. What would be the point? I hope my eldest kids get to read it and get a glimmer of who I am and who their little brother and Step-Mum are.

So, quite honestly, I have absolutely no problem with the person concerned doing whatever he (or she) thinks is right. As long as it's still funny and his (or her) husband (or wife) checks it out. As he (or she) might have the same sense of humour as me (or him) because we may (or may not) be from the same part of the world.

Dog just farted, no time, to edit, gotta go.