Friday, September 25, 2009

A week of firsts.

Everyday, it seems, has a "first". It is an overwhelming concept really that this young lad is experiencing all of these new experiences and we're responsible for them.

Thought I might list some of this weeks firsts.

First trip to the pub.

First time he drank from a sippy cup (baby beaker for the brits).

First time he drank Cow's milk (albeit with some sugar in the mix)

First time he slept for 10 and a half hours with no interruptions (I leapt from the bed at 5 to 7 to make sure he was breathing)

First time he's (I should write this down when it happens) eaten toast.

First time he's been to the dentist

First time he's had his teeth brushed (all ten of them)

First time I've picked up a turd.

It happened so fast I didn't have time to think about it. Before I knew what I was doing, I had a piece of poo between my fingers.

I was changing his bum this morning (always takes his constitutionals right after breakfast) on the sofa.

He was squirming a bit and I should've been paying more attention, but when I looked in the diaper (nappy) there was no poo?

Blimey. That's odd, must have been a really good fart.

Put a new diaper on and was about to do up his pants when I noticed the dog sniffing and rising from his slumbering state at the other end of the sofa.

As my eyes turned back towards Tanner, there it was, a turd, slightly larger than a grape, in fact like a walnut in size and appearance. I hadn't, thankfully, closed up the used diaper and before you could say "good grief there's a chunk of crap on the settee" I'd picked up it up and put it in the diaper.

I suppose the good thing was I got to it before the dog.

Tonight was also the first time he said "mum". I had brought him into the living room to give him a bottle of milk before bed and Tracy followed me into the living room. He watched her walk bback to the kitrchen and as she disappeared from view, he yelled "MUM".

Now that's a great first.

1 comment:

Mike and Cheryl said...

Awesome! Except for picking up a turd with your bare hand, of course. But I bet you won't do that again.

I got a stern talking to last night for using too many wipes and wiping too hard with Maelin...but I'm learning.

Mike